Re: Re: Hard to start when cold

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 19:14:27 EST

> > Hey everyone I've got a problem with my truck . I've got a 95 V-8 5
speed
> > that needs 7-10 seconds to crank before it starts when its cold. After
its
> > been started once it starts fine but if you wait 15-20 minutes it starts
> the
> > same thing over again and the longer it sits the worse it gets. The cap,
> > rotor,wires,plugs,TB and computer have all just been upgraded so I know
> > their not the problem. Also on the fuel rail there is a test port, when
> the
> > truck has sat for awhile I depressed the valve and there was zero gas
and
> > zero pressure, is this normal or is the fuel pump bad , also I checked
the
> > spark when its first cranked and its strong. I think its the fuel pump
but
> > would like other opinions. Thanks alot

Did you check the simple things, such as the battery starting to die. A low
voltage battery will act like this, especially during cold starts. The fuel
pump might be starting to go; in my experience with fuel pumps though(I do
have quite a bit of experience too!) is that when pumps go, they just die
and do not really fail gradually. Have you replaced your fuel filter
lately?? I do mine every 15,000 miles and it is fairly dirty every time I
replace it(Yes I do cut them all open to see how it looks). I would t ry
some simple things first before deciding on the fuel pump and then having to
drop the tank. Maybe you can find a shop to test the fuel pressure on the
truck when it is running and then go from there, whether the pump is the
culprit or not. Good Luck.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6