Re: Re[2]: Higher Wattage Bulbs

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 12:38:22 EST

I would just my input on higher wattage replacement bulbs. I originally
bought some from JC Whitney, about 4 years ago, 80W Low beam and 100W high
beam. About 2 months after I put them in, one side blew up. Yes, during
installation I was very careful not to touch the glass. So I went a bought a
2 new standard watt bulbs from Wal-Mart. Then, I still wanted more light, so
I tried some higher wattage bulbs about a year later. This time I bought
them from a local auto parts stores, with the same wattage as my first high
watt pair. Once again, not even one month after putting them in, one side
blew. I saved my normal watt bulbs becuase I still wasnt sure they high watt
pair would hold up. So back in went the normal watt bulbs. Overall, the
stock watt bulbs really really were poor. I did like the increased
visibility of the 80W/100W bulbs, but did not like the fact that they were
blowing all the time. Since them, I have upgraded my lighting somewhat, and
really will never have to worry about blowing my 9004 bulbs, since I am
still running stock/normal wattage and have never blown one of these bulbs.
Currently, I have two Hella 500 6" Round 55W(H3 Bulbs) Driving Lights and
two Hella XL 55W(H3 Bulbs) on my Dak. The 55W H3 Bulbs are so intensly
bright on the road and I love the wide pattern I now have. My 55W 6" Round
Driving lights are so much better than the pattern the 100W 9004 Bulbs gave
out. I suggest to save you money, bid on some Hella lights on Ebay, and love
the increased visibility Hella lights give out. Glad to hear thogh some
people like their higher than stock wattage bulbs.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6