Determining Axle Ratios???

From: Pinnell, John (John.Pinnell@anheuser-busch.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 13:05:26 EST

To All -

Hello, I'm new to the list. I'm John Pinnell, a 25 yr old guy who loves his
Dakota. She is a '96 4X4 Sport, single cab, 3.9L 5spd by the name of Sheila. I
had a couple of Rangers previous to her, but they paled by comparison.

I bought Sheila when she only had 4K on her in Nov '96. The PO had traded her
in since he'd won the lottery, bought a bigger boat, and therefore needed a
bigger truck. I got a really good deal on her at the time since the new for '97
body style was on the lot, and who wanted a beautiful black '96 anyway.

Sheila has been a great truck. The only thing I've had to do is put plugs in
her, change the oil, and occasionally giver her some new treads. Well after
70K, she has developed a problem. I've got a growl coming from the front diff
that has been around for a little while, but is now getting worse. I'm pretty
sure it's the bearing on the right side going south. I've priced around to have
the front diff rebuilt and it looks to be $1000-$1500 depending on if I need a
ring and pinion or not. That's a little more than what I can afford right now.
I'm considering getting a low mileage diff from a recycler, but I don't know how
to determine the axle ratio I need.

Does anyone know how to go about this??

The yard guy says I should be able to get one for around $300-$400. I'm also
considering having him source a limited slip rear at the same time since I don't
have one right now. That would still bring me in under $1000 with the
improvements of a limited slip.

Thanks,