Re: RE: 98 V-6 Dakota Cat Converter Problems? (I had same problem)

From: DICEMAN469@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 08:56:44 EST

In a message dated 1/7/00 8:46:58 AM Eastern Standard Time, bernd@texas.net
writes:

> Hi;
> I've got a 98 2WD 5-Speed V-6 with a cat-back exhaust (Mopar/Gibson)
> and I've noticed that something has broken loose inside the converter
> and I hear quite a bit of buzzing/rattling inside the cab.
> It's not the heat shields, and it's probably the catalyst bed, since
> giving the converter a tap with a rubber mallet produces the noise.
>
> Before I drag my otherwise pristine 17,000 mile truck to the dealer
> for what I expect to be a warranty wrestling match, has anyone else
> had the same problem? If they give me too much grief, I guess I'll
> just go to an aftermarket replacement. Comments?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dan

A day after I got back from the track last year my Cat Developed the same
problem. They get loose in these, and it sounds like pebbles rattling around.
I also have the catback installed, but since I bought it from Mopar
Performance (so it has a Chrysler Part Number) They had to cover it under
warranty. Even though you have the same exhaust I do, because you might not
have bought it from Mopar they may give you trouble. Be sure to point out
they are the same system.

Good luck

-Austin
Vipertruck