Re: hard "clunk" sound on auto tranny

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 13:03:20 EST

At 05:22 PM 1/6/00 , you wrote:
>Welp. I have roughly 400 miles on my 2000 Sport+ with the 4.7L V8. I was at
>lunch today, and when I wanted to shift the transmission from park to any
>other gear, it would make a semi-loud "clunking" noise. What's this mean?
>What causes this? And what's the fix.

When you put your transmission in park it causes a little thingee (sorry
for the technical terms) to go between two of the gear teeth somewhere in
the tranny or the flywheel or somewhere in there. If the truck rolls even a
little bit after you take your foot off the brake or espically if you park
on an incline the tranny/flywheel/whatever moves and kinda binds against
that thingee. This can make it hard to pull out of park and can cause the
clunk you heard. To test this, next time you park put the tranny in park
and before you take your foot off the brake, put the parking brake on. This
will keep the truck from rolling. Then when you come back it should slide
right out of park with no clunk. If you still get the clunk, take it in for
service.

> When you break in your engine, this is
>only with your engine, and nothign to do with your tranny, right?

Basically correct.

> Thanks
>again for putting up with my questions.

Don't let it happen again, boy! :-) Seriously though, that's what we're
all here for. We put up with each others questions so we can all learn a
little more every day. Don't hesitate to ask anything, anytime.

Mike Crumley 97 V6 Auto
mail to: mcrumley@airmail.net

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the
one I've never tried before." --Mae West