Re: RE: Roller Rockers and Other Minor Mods

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 17:19:14 EST

<<That's about it if you're not going after a race truck. I had installed
the Roller Rockers on my V6 since I was planning on running Nitrous (or a
Blower) and wanted some extra valvetrain stability. (Especially at high
rpm's.) Are they needed...no. Since they are the Crower 1.6:1 Rollers,
there were no Pushrod/Valve Spring replacements required.>>

This is our stock ratio, yes? (after the blue bulb thing I'm a little
gun-shy on the assume thing. :-)

<<On the 1.7:1, Crower recommends different valve springs due to the
possibility of cold bind...but others have done without. Frank (F&B) had
written something about the pushrod lengths, but i'm not sure if that
applied to the Crower Rockers or not.>>

Is bigger better? I figure if I'm gonna go in there and rip the old stuff
out, I may as well go for the best/strongest. Also, what the heck is "cold
bind"? It sounds pretty damn painful! Lastly, do you recall about what
year/month F&B did a post so I can look it up in the archives?

<<The only item I would personally change is the Intake system...Quick-D
and/or K&N make a great Intake Tube System and seems to work better than the
old-school 14" Rounds. (I tried it myself originally with a 10" on my V6
and found that when the engine is warm, the Intake Tube system works much
better.)>>

Yep... I forgot to put that on the list of planned mods... The FABM was my
first mod, so it's tough to rip it off and replace it for sentimental
reasons. ;-)

Thanks again!
Tom