Long awaited HEADLIGHT WIRING! hehe

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 23:51:18 EST

okay, with most of you guys out there wanting to know how to upgrade our
wiring, here's how:

tools:
-crimping/stripping tool
-12v automotive relay(radio shack for about 6 bucks)
-female disconnects
-pack of butt connectors
-10 gauge wiring for minimium power loss thru the wire.
-about 45 minutes of your time

okay. first step.
You will need to find a location to mount the relay. Then run the ground
wire to the relay, and run power into the relay.

2)find the wire that is your headlight's low beams. (on the harness/adaptor
piece that plugs into the bulb then the headlight assembly, there are 3 wires
that comes out of it. I think it's black, purple then some other color) on
my 97 dakota, the headlight (low beam) wire was purple with white stripes
(check before you cut!) roll back the protective sleeving that is wrapped
around the 3 wires and go back quite a ways so you have enough room to
cut/crimp and also enough room so you'll have enough wire to change the bulb
if it ever goes out..

With that location in mind on the purple wire, cut it. From the piece that
comes "fron the engine" connect that into the relay's "remote turn on"
socket, and from the relay's power output, hook that up to the piece of
purple wire that runs into the bulb and harness. That's it. Very simple.
just takes some time.

OH YEA.. from the power output on the relay, run a y piece off of that and
split the power to each side. Remember to slice the otherside, and i guess
you can use 2 relays, or if you only use one, you can just tape up the end of
the purple wire that comes "from the engine" on the other side.
-Dester

PS. please ask questions if you don't get it. Sorry, I don't have a digital
camera, but it is really easy.