Re: Fluctuating guages (long)

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 07:09:23 EST

At 09:58 PM 1/10/00 -0800, you wrote:
>I am having some strange problems with my dak. I am pretty sure that I
>have some sort of problem in the cooling system but am not sure. When I sit
>in idle for longer that 30 seconds the temperature guage starts moving
>towards Hot. But when I start moving and pick up speed the guage goes back
>down. What could this be? I just replaced the thermostat with a heavy duty
>one as it was bad, and the fluid levels are full. Thanx Mark 91 cc 5spd 6er

Two possiblilities come to mind. How likely, I don't know.

Some passages in the rad have become permanently blocked up over the years
and the engine is not not getting full use out of the rads capacity.

I only mention the second one because the symptoms that you have described
are so similar to those that I had on another vehicle ... small internal
hairline crack(s) in the heads in which some coolant is getting into the
engine.
If you've noticed a little more white smoke coming from the exhaust
at start up and for a little while after and/or the coolant level goes
down over a month's time, then this may be a real possibility.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.