Re: Re: DYNO Output Reading?

From: jimm (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 22:48:42 EST

"Sonia St.laurent" wrote:

> I thought the output listed for a 235HP 4.7 is the rear-wheel versus the old
> days from the flywheel? This is why the Cobra owners sued Ford and instead
> 320HP it was only 250 to the rear.

NO, The current measurement still reads flywheel horsepower but it is measured
as installed in a veichle with all exhaust, water pump/fan, power steering etc
devices in operation. the old rating used before the mid 70s were made with no
accessories installed and no mufflers etc.
I saw a dyno demonstration when I was in highschool in 1965 where a Ford LTD
with a 300 hp 390 cid v8 was tested and it made only 180 hp at the wheels. By
comparison now a 230 hp engine makes about 180 at the wheels.