9 1/4 R/Axle, Attn: Jon Smith

From: DRD892@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 09:16:22 EST

Jon,

I don't know anyone who has tried this, but with enough engineering and
money, just about anything is possible.

As you know, there was not a 9 1/4 axle for the stock 1995 Dakota.

Some of the problems you may encounter are:

In 1997 the Dakota axles went to an offset differential. That is the
differential
is not centered and there is a long and short axle tube. The yokes have
changed. You may have a difficult time getting the drive shaft to fit
properly.
The brakes may or may not be the same as your '95. Depends on what
axle you get. If the brakes are different, you need to change the brake bias
valve. Shock brackets, swaybar brackets, clips etc. will probably be off
location.

The overall width is close. The spring seats may or many not be off location.
At present, I can't get to the engineering office to find the drawings.

David R.
Sterling Heights
Michigan
DC Detroit Axle Plant