Why is everyone pinging?!? - no Mods ever Made

From: Chad Simon (chad.simon@wcom.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 17:18:49 EST

I have a 99 V6 2wd auto Dakota sport that has been to the Dodge dealer 4
times for pinging. Not resolved yet, I can usually re-create it after about
a 20 minute drive (in cold or hot weather). They drive it 1-2 miles and
claim no problem. The last time I took it in they told me, it's only a
little ping and they considered it acceptable. I have not finished with
them yet, my work schedule has prolonged me from getting back and raising
some mess. The best way to describe it would be to imagine the a model T
running a diesel engine. It does not happen all the time but can re-create
on demand. There have been NO modifications to the engine at all.
Currently with 21k miles, serviced regularly. It usually happens when I an
slowly picking up speed around 30 mph and slowly steadily increasing 1-2 mph
per sec.

If some one can come up with a fix that lasts 6 months or more I may even
offer a reward. :-)

History -------
I started running regular gas, pinging started, switched to med, pinging
stopped, pinging started, switched to high grade, pinging stopped, pinging
started, said to hell with it and went back to reg, pinged, stopped for a
while, started pinging again and still has ever since.

Dealer Work -------
re-rerouted sparkplug wires
checked for oil leaking
flashed computer twice