Re: Warranty Work

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 17:50:00 EST

At 10:22 AM 1/13/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey, y'all check this out. (a redneck's last words) I dropped my truck off
>at the local 5 star this morning so they could try to cure my ping problem.
>Should have known this was going to be a bad day when they didn't want me to
>give them the TSB for the re-route. Anyway they called a few minutes ago
>and told me, my intake manifold gasket was leaking and they would repair
>under warranty. They also recommended a TB cleaning ($13 for the kit and
>$60 for labor) and an oil change (I just changed it Dec 30 maybe 500 miles
>ago). Does this make any sense, or is my 5star trying to make some extra
>cash off another jarhead. Can't I do the tb myself? Your input is greatly
>appreciated.

The intake manifold gasket seems to a problem on the magnums and a leak
can cause pinging because oil is being drawn into the intake manifold.
There is a test that you can perform yourself to see if there is a leak
there.

The throttle body and IAC sensor can be cleaned by yourself as well.

As for the oil change, something may have contaminated it as a result
of the intake leak. I would pull the dip stick and take a sniff to
see if it smells a bit like gasoline. Anybody correct me on this last
one?

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.