RE: Decreasing Mileage

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 18:54:57 EST

I have the K&N cone filter, Mopar headers, F&B TB, and no probs. Total
mileage is 33K. K&N went on at 9K, headers at @19K, TB at @ 25K. My mileage
on the hwy is, and always has been, between 17 and 19 depending on load,
headwind, temp. What year is your truck? I think the probs are coming from
somewhere else, or possibly just luck of the draw that they those parts are
failing now.

John
98 Dak 4X4 CC Sport, 5.2L, Auto, all the stuff above and more.

<snip>
Recently purchased a Dakota 4X4 auto with 5.2L engine. Put the K&N
filter, headers, and cat back on. Multiple problems
have come up:

    1. Prior to mods, I got about 17-18 mpg on the road over a long
trip. After the mods I got 15.

    2. Shortly after the mods went in, the PCM died.

    3. Upon putting in a used PCM, the up and downstream O2 sensors
read as bad.

    4. Now the mileage is 11-12 mpg.

Any suggestions as to what is going on? Research prior to the mods
suggested at least no change and probably some
improvement. Could the mods damage the O2 sensor (all mods are MP)?
Did I get a bad used computer? Any way to tell?

The dealer I purchased from gave a 6 month warranty and he is standing
by that well. He is thinking, though, that the mods are
contributing to the problem. What is a reasonable mileage figure for a
40k truck with these mods?
<unsnip>