Re: Ford 9"

From: J McKinney (bigmopar4x4@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 10:10:06 EST

I agree clay, the 8 3/4 is more than adequate. Mine has
survived the last 12 years including the constant torturing
during my high school years even with a big block and a 4
speed in my Charger.

Mike if you have located an 8 3/4" for a decent price,
check the numbers on the 3rd member. Try to get a case
with the casting numbers ending in 742 or 489. The 489
case is the best because the pinion diameter is like 1-7/8,
much larger than the Ford 9" by the way. Even a 741
(A-body) case would probably be more than you'll ever need,
but get one of the other ones if you can.

also, its just my opinion, but dont count out the
> old chrysler
> 8.75... I would take it over a ford 9" any day of the
> week... plus I would
> never put anything labeled ford on my truck.... :) IMHO
>
> Clay

=====
John McKinney
Los Banos, CA
1998 Dakota 4x4 5in lift/locked 33" Swampers
1974 Ramcharger 4in lift/locked 33" BFG MT's