Re: RE: names

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 23:49:47 EST

As a former South Dakotan, I can tell you that "Dakota" is a Sioux
(Lakotah?) Indian name meaning "Allies". =)

Other useless trivia:
-Population was somewhere around 720,000 people, last time I checked.
-Capital is Pierre (pronounced "Peer") and has a population of around 14,000
people.
-The largest city is Sioux Falls, population just over 100k people, about
the same size as Abilene, TX where I now live...
-State bird: Ringneck Pheasant
-State animal: Coyote
-State flower: Pasqueflower
Nickname: The "Sunshine State" aka "The Land of Infinite Variety".
Record Low Temp: -58F
Record High Temp: 120F
Rainfall: 13" northwest, 25" southeast
Largest Lake: Oahe Reservoir, 250 miles long, 300+ feet deep.
Also home of Mount Rushmore National Park, Wind Cave National Park, Custer
State Park, Jewel Cave National Monument, Badlands National Park.