Re: High Quality Head Gaskets

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 12:42:01 EST

>I've heard people mention using studs before....what's the advantage of studs
>over regular bolts?? I've had one encounter with studs on the exhaust
>manifolds, and it wasn't pretty!!
>
>-Austin
>Vipertruck

Studs will give you a more accurate torque on the head. With bolts you get
inaccurate torque measurements when tightening. Friction of the bolt head
on the cylinder head gives false readings on your torque wrench. You want
the torque of the bolts to be the clamping force of the head to the block,
not the force needed to turn the bolt head on the cylinder head With
studs, the studs are screwed into the block and tightened, The head is put
on the block, and all that you are tightening now are the nuts. So you get
more accurate clamping of the head to the block which gives uniform gasket
crush which makes a good seal.

Studs would be a good idea, along with the Fel-Pro perma-torque
gaskets. Get ARP studs: http://www.arp-bolts.com/ as they are one of the
best out there.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net