the plot thickens.... <premag problems>

From: Mike D. (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 21:13:06 EST

so, I go to the mechanic today to get a few things checked: 1) terrible
vibration at all speeds (presumed U joints) 2) wandering. Here is the
verdict: The truck went up on the lift and the driveshaft given a good
smackin' around... no play. The U joints were perfectly good! <sigh of
releif from wallet>. Then, the mechanic gives the front end components a
good shakin' around. Ball joints were good, everything nice and solid, no
excessive play in anything. We didn't get a chance to check the steering
mechanism, but the truck didn't wander much today either...

So, we take it for a drive... I find the magic speed that triggers the
most vibration. Mechanic "since it's not U joints, it sounds like the
Torque Converter to me..." hhmmmm...

So, up on the lift it goes and we look for tranny leaks. Sure enough,
right on the converter, a nice drippy drip. Damn. now things are starting
to come together... a droaning sound at low light throttle/low speed,
droaning when throttle is liftined slightly at highway speed, vibration
at certain RPM's while accelerating, funny noises when D and R are
selected...

so, by this I deduce: Take it to the tranny shop next week.

okay, here's something else! The wandering has stopped. just... gone...oh
well.. if it ain't broke....

and one more thing... my Alpine CD player is BACK IN THE SHOP! Last
Alpine I ever buy.... pos...

okay, that's all...

-mike d.

---> Yorktown, Va.