Blown-tire-in-the-snow Story

From: Toney (discman@home.com)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 01:14:09 EST

Driving like a madman (stupid) in the first major snow of the winter a
few days ago, I was taking a right turn into a neighborhood and
basically got caught in 3" of fresh powder and was guided to the
concrete median/flowerbed, almost hitting the large entrance sign.
        "Damn", I said, laughing and throwing it into reverse to get out back
on the road, started to move forward and was greeted with a very
difficult-to-turn-right feeling. immediatly hit the brake, hopped out
and "Oh Sh*t", BLOWN left front. Ended up driving on the flat for 1/4
mile to a friends house where i would be out of the way and on level
ground to change in - in the snow.
        The tires have about 450-500 miles on them...damn..
        Bent the rim a little, still can put a tire on it, but looks like crap.
        Heres the cool part, went to Merchant's (Service chain on East Coast)
where i had bought the tires 2 weeks before and brought my papers in
with me, turned out i had payed for the "Tire Protection Policy", the
replacement mounted and balanced that same night was FREE!!!
        Moral: Snow/Ice is dangerous; Always have Protection ;)