Re[2]: Re: 4x4 front wheel bearings

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 17:46:33 EST

<<He then told me that the front wheel bearings should last for the life of
my truck with no maintenance required on them. He told me they were sealed
front bearing and since Daks use 'auto hubs' checking them wasnt needed
since they are sealed, unlike the bearing on manual 4WD hub trucks.>>

Funky... In the factory service schedule it says to inspect the front wheel
bearings periodically which I interpreted to mean pull 'em out, clean 'em
off, take a look at 'em and then re-pack and reinstall... How do you
inspect a wheel bearing without yanking them out and repacking them? The
bearings are surely sealed within their races but you need a grease packing
to reinstall, don't you? I can't find a picture of one in my FSM and I
can't figure out how these units work... In other words, I'm confused! ;-)
Tom