RE: Rice Viper

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 00:30:41 EST

Uhhhh...we've already been over that.

- Bernd

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net
To: 'dakota-truck@buffnet.net'
Subject: RE: DML: Rice Viper

Sorry Bernd, but your info isn't quite correct. The Viper V10 is not a DOHC
motor; its a pushrod motor. Redline is at 6000, so its not exactly a rever
either. Peak HP is at 5200, peak torque at 3700. Compression is only 9.6:1,
so not a big squeeze.

A lot of the "weird" sound comes from the extra cylinders, but mostly from
the uneven firing order. Things like Borla and the stock system are pretty
"bland" in my opinion. My friend says it sounds like a milk truck. They are
"straight back" systems where each bank is brought back and dumped out
separately (no crossover). These systems also have a ton of resonance in
them (stock system at around 2100RPM, Borla at 1100-1400 and 1900-2100). The
Borla I had on was 92db at a 70mph cruise (1350rpm).

The best "sound" is a Corsa exhaust system, which has an "X" at the rear and
produces more of the "big block" rumble...

Craig