Re: Muffler

From: George Hernandez (georgeh@tocquigny.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 09:44:58 EST

Mtbfed@aol.com wrote:

> Hey Mr. Overkill ;) Tell us about those full length headers: fit, part #...
> And what did you do for a Y-pipe? How did it all effect your power?
>
> <

Well, after waiting for 2 months to get the headers I was VERY surprised to
find out they were 1 5/8" SHORTIES! But it cam with a really nice y-pipe
complete with O2 bung:) At this point I was sick of waiting so Saturday I went
ahead and installed them.

The good news: Both headers came in from the top and took about 3 hours to put
in (including time to get the old logs out). Easiest header install I have ever
tackled:)
The bad news: The really nice y-pipe didn't fit. Since it was meant for a
97-99 5.2 motor it would not fit around the 46RE tranny. Soooo... I went to an
exhaust shop were a buddy of mine worked and we fudged with it for about 3 1/2
hours. After some choice cuts and welds we made it fit. In a few weeks I will
make a NEW y-pipe and cat set up w/ flowmaster y-collector but for now I can
live woth the ghetto-y.

Acceleration on the low end didin't seem affected but as soon as I down shift
(like around 2500RPM and up) the truck MOVES. I lost NO torque. I'm pretty
happy with it. My exhaust note also got MUCH deeper. Overall I'm happy with the
fit and finish (minus the y-pipe problem). Hopefully I will have pics up
dometime this week.

--
George Hernandez
Tocquigny Advertising + Design