Re: solid front axle dak. DAMN!!

From: Walter Felix (walt_felix@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 14:55:44 EST

When the time comes, I plan on fully documenting it. This is a project I've
been wanting to do for a couple of years now. I currently have the front
and rear axles and some of the brackets from a 79 Bronco. However, I'm not
to thrilled with the idea of putting a Ford 9" rear under my Dakota. Not
that I don't like the 9", in fact I think it's an excellent setup, I just
don't want Ford part on my Dodge. I would get a major ribbing from all my
Ford friends. What I've been looking into lately, is some of the companys I
found listed in some of the 4x4 magazines. I'm thinking about another Dana
44 or dana 60 for the rear. There's alot of outfits that will build them to
any specifications you want. There would be no chance of me ever blowing it
up. I also have to figure out pinion angles and details like that.

When I start this project, I want it to be part of a complete drivetrain
rebuild. I got one of the 360 crate motors sitting in my buddy's garage
right now. I still haven't figured out what I want to do for a tranny.
Most likely, I'm going to try and find a 46RH out of a 93-95 Ram 1500 with a
360 and mate it up to an Advanced Adapters Atlas II transfer case.

It's still going to be some time before I start this project. I don't
really have a place to work on it right now and I want to get together as
many of the parts before I start. Ingrid and I will start looking for a
house soon. Something with a decent size garage.

I'm still driving the Dakota daily at this point even though I do have the
new Ram now. I haven't really been driving the Ram much because I want to
keep it as clean as possible. Once spring hits I'll most likely park the
Dakota for a little while and figure out what I need to do.

Walt Felix
88½ Dakota Sport 4x4 and 2000 Ram 1500 QuadCab Sport 4x4
Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.Walt-n-Ingrid.COM