Re: 2nd GREAT SNOW IN MD AND ANOTHER THOUGHT ON RACING

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 16:45:09 EST

> My guess would be, the Dak is one awesome truck, and the world at
>large is starting to realize that. They probably just want to see
>what its got. :-)
> -Jon-

Well I finally have a Dakota race story to tell.. I was driving on one of
the many back roads here in Oklahioma the other day, it's a long straight
road that goes up and over many hills. Pretty smooth road, goes on for
miles. So I'm driving along minding my business, going 60MPH (speed limit
is 55) looking at land for sale as I pass by. I look in the rearview
mirror and I see a newer model Chevy S10 pull up behind me. He gets real
close. Here I am in a bone stock '99 Dakota with a 6 banger (not even a
K&N), and I say to myself, WTF, this ain't gonna work! So this guy starts
weaving side to side looking around then suddenly bolts around me and
passes me. I'm not having any of that, so I get into the gas and speed up
to draft him. I'm doing about 80 when I finally get up to him, he slams
the go pedal. I do the same. 85 rolls by then 90, then he starts slowing
down and rides his brakes and pulls to the side a little - ohh this sucka
wants to really get serious. I wait till we get over the next hill, we're
side by side on a two lane, two way road, I'm in the wrong lane. I hear
his motor roar to life and I downshift and punch it. Were side by side,
50, 60, 70, 80 rolls by, I through it in 5th and pull ahead of him, but not
by much. A hill is coming up, I back off and get behind him and draft him,
once we're over the hill and no cars, I through it back into 4th and I try
a sling shot pass. I get around him and put it in fifth and get in front,
with that pass and the downhill run, I'm doing right under 115. I look
back and I see him fading back, so I let off the go pedal and let the
engine slow me down a little then put it in neutral and coast.. We get to
the end of the road (road T's). I stop at the stop sign and he pulls up
beside me, and rolls down his passenger window. He yells out "not bad,
not bad" as he shakes his head in defeat. Then he takes off down the road.

Kind of surprised at my 'lil Dakota. The engines they put in the S10's
must really suck. Never did see what engine he had though.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net