Re[2]: 99 4x4 Woes When Turning

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 21:24:17 EST

OK, then this is normal for a part-time 4wd system... What's happening is your
driveline is binding up because the same amount of torque is being applied to
the front axle as is being supplied to the rear axle... This shouldn't be the
case in a turn and your drivetrain is letting you know that. Ordinarily this
will only happen on a hard non-slip surface like pavement, which is the reason
why you don't want to run a part-time 4wd system on the road. However, even
off-road with the wheels at full lock (turned hard left or right) I've gotten
the "bumps" with any part-time system I've ever driven. I figure even the
loose ground can't compensate for the *expected* difference in torque.

OTH, I have the Full-Time system on my Kota so I have fully realized my Chi
when it comes to pavement wheelin'. :-) It works by putting a differential in
the transfer case (similar to that in an open diff. axle) that allows the axles
to receive more or less power as required by the circumstances.

Clear as mud? :-)
Tom