changing tire size

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 21:49:07 EST

I read your post about snow tires to replace your P255/65r15's. I had a
guy come in last saturday asking about the same thing. We calculated
that 30x9.50's are about 2" taller than the 255's, a very significant
amount. When the computer uses an electronic pulse generator as a
vehicle speed sensor, and electronic wheel speed sensors that it
compares that speed reading too, you run the risk of playing havoc with
the engine and the abs system. I cant think of any tire shop that would
be willing to pay for any damage if something went wrong because of the
wrong tire size swap. So, are you willing to risk a thousand dollar
transfer case, 1300 hundred dollar transfer case, or $800 ABS system?
  My $.02
Patrick