RE: stereo question - square

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 15:53:22 EST

At 10:56 PM 1/27/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Square?
>
>Now how the hell do you fit a square speaker into a round hole?
>
>(Ya had to know that was coming.)
>
>- Bernd

That square speaker is for a solo-baric enclosure only. It is a push-pull
type enclosure (sealed enclosure on both sides of the cone). All that is
expected from those type enclosures are bass frequencies. Having a square
speaker in a square enclosure optimizes peak performance for bass
reproduction. On the other hand, a square speaker is not intended for full
spectrum reproduction, which is where the round speakers come into
play. Now whether or not a round is better than an oval, I dunno, but it
sounds good. I believe round is better, but don't ask to back that up with
facts, as I don't have any. But being taught about sound waves and how
their produced and full spectral reproduction, round is better, or rather
more accurate, but only in the higher frequencies (~15KHz and up).

Mike

mschwall@flash.net