RE: Re: P0340...P1391 Help! Thanks Gary.

From: Robert Cash (rcash@tbcnet.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 08:47:53 EST

Will look into than most ricky tick.

Bobby

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net]On Behalf Of blackdak
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2000 4:43 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: DML: Re: P0340...P1391 Help!

P0340 - No cam signal at PCM (No fuel Sync)
P1391 - Intermittent loss of CMP or CKP (Loss of the cam position sensor or
crank position sensor has occured. For PL2.0L

Here is what the manual says about the CMP :

The cam position sensor on the 4.7 is located on the front/top of the right
cylinder head. (It shows a nice picture of it too, kind of hangs down from
the top of the cylinder head in back...had a plug, I would check to make
sure the bolt and the plug are tight).

The CMP sensor contains a hall effect device called a sync signal generator
to generate a fuel sync signal. This sync signal generator detects notches
located on a tone wheel. The tone wheel is located at the front of the cam
shaft for the right cylinder head. As tonewheel rotates, the notches pass
throught the the sync signal generator. The pattern of the notches (veiwed
counter clockwise from the front of the engine) is: 1 notch, 2 notches, 3
notches, 3 notches, 2 notches, 1 notch, 3 notches and 1notch. The signal
from the CMP is used in conjuntion with the crankshaft position sensor to
differentiate between fuel injection and spark events. It is also used to
syncronize the fuel injectors to their respective cylinders.

Hope this helps,
Gary