Ping info question (WAS: DML RE: Ping Information)

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 21:42:19 EST

>Bernd, are you sure that the delay is programmed in? Someone else was
>saying htat it was as if the computer was too busy to deliver the spark.
>But then wouldn't ALL similar daks ping?
>
>I'm thinking a weak connection in the wiring to a sensor, an injector, or
>the distributor may cause a delay? That way some daks could have good
>connections and some weak. Eh?

I'll butt in if no one minds. All sensors put out a certain voltage no
matter what they are detecting. The computer has a tolerance table for
each sensor. When a sensor voltage goes too low or too high, it throws a
trouble code, if the problem persists, the "check engine" light stays
on. That is part of the OBD II program.

Another idea would be to check knock sensors. Their mounted on the intake
somewhere? See if their are different versions, #'s, mfgs., etc. Some
might not be outputting the correct voltage level when it detects ping/knocks.

Just to clarify my knowledge of the pinging problem, for those who have a
pinging problem, when do you hear the ping? Is it normal driving, pinging
constantly no matter what gear your in? Normal driving, pinging only at
the shifts? Hauling, pinging constantly no matter what gear? Hauling,
pinging only at the shifts? Or a combination of?

Maybe we can narrow this gremlin down on our own. I'm sure Chrysler knows,
and it's probably not a cost effective fix for them.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net