Re: M1 manifold total cost

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 22:38:32 EST

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Bob Tom wrote:

> At 06:49 PM 1/31/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >Yes, any head designed for the Magnum engines will work with the MPI
> >or M1 intakes. (as well as the stock intake, of course)
> > -Jon-
>
> Jon
>
> Got any details on the MPI and/or pros/cons between the MPI and M1?
> Also, have you heard anything about the 4-bbl tb for the MPI? TIA.

   I haven't really heard much about the 4-bbl TB. Personally, I
think its probably going to be overkill for anything this side of a
wildly modified engine. I don't know for sure though. I think
Frank got one that he is going to test out. It seems like you'd
need a computer re-program for sure, and probably larger injectors
to be able to maintain stoich. Just as a rough guess, assuming the
stock TB flows 500cfm and the stock injectors are 19lb, then I guess
the 1000cfm 4bbl would need about 38lb injectors to maintain the
same safety margins... ?

  As far as MPI vs M1 goes, they are identical except that the MPI has
the injector bosses drilled out and includes an adaptor to allow the
stock TB to be mounted on the intake. The only reason you'd want to
use the M1 is if you were going to use a carb instead of EFI. (The MPI
actually *is* the M1 ("M1" is even cast right into it); the only
difference is that they've drilled out the injector bosses for you,
and they include that TB adaptor.) If you were going to use the 4bbl
TB, you could either get the M1 and drill out the bosses yourself or
get the MPI and stick the adaptor on a shelf.

   What sort of MPI details are you looking for? If I know 'em I'll
fer shur let ya know. :-)

 TTYL!

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'