Re: Winter Storage options

From: Bret Clark (bclark@vitts.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 12:27:43 EST

Putting a vehicle on blocks tends to be a controversy between many people.
When you put a vehicle on blocks this allows the suspension to float free
which suspension were not designed to. This could cause suspension problems
down the road (no pun intended).

If this is a short time storage (under 6 months) I wouldn't put it on
blocks. Many people think the tires flat spot when you store them. Flat
spotting only occurs when you lock your tires up and burn rubber off of one
spot. What happens in storage is the steal belt flattens in the spot from
where the tires were resting. This will cause thumping when you first drive
the truck, but after 5 to 10 miles the tires will round out and the noise
will disappear. One way to minimize this is to inflate the tires to their
maximum pressure as shown on the side wall during storage.

Antifreeze and oil should be fresh. Fill the gas tank to the top to minimize
any possible condensation in the tank. Wash the vehicle and get a car cover.
I put moth balls in the engine compartment to keep the critters out. Another
think I like to do is start the vehicle every 2 to 3 weeks. Engines are
meant to be run and seals will dry out if they don't run from time to time
and this could lead to leaking seals. Run the engine for 30 minutes at about
1000 to 1500 RPM, not idle. Again, engines were not meant to run at idle.
Running at higher RPM also helps to burn off any condensation in the
mufflers and oil. If you have A/C make sure to run that at the same time to
keep the compressor lubricated.

While I'm running the engine, I also like to move the car back or forward a
few feet to change the resting position of the tires.

I've been following this procedure for about 10 years with my RX-7 and
Vette, and come every spring I never have any problem pulling them out of
their winter hibernation.

Regards
Bret
00 4X4 Dak