Re: 17 X 8 questions 91-96: backspacing/offset

From: Gregg Omo (dak_fan92@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 13:25:38 EST

--- Mag318Racr@aol.com wrote:
> Standard Time,
> dak_fan92@yahoo.com writes:
>
> > To anybody that is running a 91-96 Dakota that is
> > lowered 2" up front and have 17x8 wheels.
> >
> > What are the offset and backspacing of the
> wheels?
> >
> > How wide of a tire are you running? Can a 255/50
> be
> > used or does it have to be a 245/50 and not rub
> the
> > inside at full steering lock?

 Greg, it looks I like have 5 1/8 backspacing. I need
> to remember it this time
> because that wasn't fun crawling around on the cold
> ground this morning
> LOL. Again, I run a 245/45 but I don't think
> there'll be a problem running a
> 255. You might get a little more rubbing than I do.
> Figure that tire is only
> 5mm wider on each side.
>
> My truck is dropped with spindles, I don't know if
> springs make a difference.
>
> Kelly in SC
> '96 CC 5.2

Kelly,

thanks for taking one for the team this morning!!!
That was nice of ya. I lowered my truck with eibach
coils....1 3/4" drop officially.

The only reason I need this info is if I do a five lug
conversion (I need new rotors and drums anyway), I
need to know the maximum offset and backspacing to go
with because the application charts at tire/wheel
stores goes out the window.

Does anybody know who I should call to find out the
maximum backspacing and offset that will fit without
problems on my truck? The wheels are cheaper as well.
 I think that I am going to go with 245/50, I am
trying to stay as close to the stock tire height as
possible. this might be a lot of work up front, but
hopefully the rewards will result in a very unique
dakota.

thanks again.

Gregg
92 V6 CC