Re: Drive shafts. Very weird.

From: Cale Henry Bargen (vencomatic@ameritech.net)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 15:39:23 EST

Hey Mike,

Without measuring the shafts and calculating the second moment, there is
no way to say which shaft is easier to accelerate. You could be right
that the aluminum shaft still comes out ahead despite a thicker wall,
but the OD is really quite a bit more than the steel, which levels the
playing field again. In the calculations for inertia:
                                                             4
     (pi) x density x Length x (Outside Radius-Inside Radius)
                                  2

The R is the shaft radius, density is material density, Length is shaft
length, I is inertia about the central axis. You can see that Radius is
to the 4th power which makes it 4 times more critical to the inertia as
does the material (density).

As per usual, anybody whose brain is full, head hurts, or brain exploded
messily may be excused.

Cale