RE: Legal ?'s on EMERGENCY STROBE LIGHTS

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 21:50:28 EST

> > > I don't know if it's legal or not, but I figure if it was,
> > > alarms would
> > > come with them. I think official sirens are not to be
> > > duplicated and put
> > > in regular non-emergency vehicles. After a while of hearing
> > > the siren,
> > > people will disregard a true official thinking it's just
> a car alarm.
> > >
> > > Just my opinion/observation, who knows, maybe it is legal.
> >
> >A siren box isn't a good idea anyway. The current draw is
> extremely high
> >and
> >will trash a battery in no time, it's even worse if you are
> running strobes
> >or flashing your headlights. You could get ticketed for
> noise pollution(and
> >yes those laws do exist, and in some communities can be very
> costly!).
>

> I'd rather have my battery trashed than my truck! I havent
> had any false
> alarm problem with my Clifford.

I think you missed my point. If you hook up a siren to your alarm system,
and bop off to the mall and some joker wants your truck, just setting it off
a couple of times(and tell me how many people pay attention to alarms
anymore especailly at the mall) your alarm is totally useless (it won't even
chirp..nada...nothing...zip...), and he can then pop the door, kill the
alarm and his truck is his. One better pulls it onto a flatbed... Or if
you're lucky come back to a dead battery. If he yanks your negative
lead(very easy in our Dak's) guess what..no alarm! or at least an audible
one. Believe me those siren boxes draw alot. I used to drive an ambulance
for a living, and had to drive a rat-rig(falling apart),turn the overheads
on, and once the batteries went below 11 volts..no siren...

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd
Rahway NJ