Re: OK Gunna get true Duals, but what size?

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 12:00:46 EST

At 11:58 PM 2/5/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>OK well heres what's going down...
>
> I have finally been able to start saving some decent amounts of
> money...
>ANyways I am gunna save and buy a S/C this summer, but I currently want to
>get some exhuast work done. From what I hear, straight outs work the ebst on
>S/Ced engines, is this true??? If so would like dual 2.5" pipes be good?
>
>Or should I go with somthin more like 2.25" or maybe even 2"?????
>
>Also are X pipes worth it? I hear that add to the rumble of the exhuast,
>even out the sound/pulses?
>

>Greg

What size motor do you have? If it's a 318 - 2 1/4", and a 360 - 2
1/2". Do you have headers? An X-pipe or a simple crossover pipe is a good
idea. It not only improves the sounds, it improves the scavenging of the
exhaust gases. On a properly tuned exhaust system, the exhaust gases are
actually sucked from the combustion chambers when the exhaust valve opens.

Get either an X-pipe or a simple crossover pipe - an "H" setup. It's best
if installed as close as possible to the manifolds or header
collectors. It will also improve low end torque. Usually right under the
bellhousing is ideal. All depends on where the room is under your truck.

Getting bigger diameter pipes will raise the torque band of the
engine. You won't loose any torque, you just won't be getting it until
higher in the RPMs. Average increase is ~1000, depends on pipe
size. Don't go too big without modifying the computer, squirting more gas,
and getting a hotter cam with a little more lift and longer duration and a
tighter lobe center - to take advantage of the better flowing exhaust.

Mike

Mike

mschwall@flash.net