Re: $100 to make it faster?

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 12:51:39 EST

At 01:02 AM 2/6/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>WHats the best way to spend $100, maybe $125 to make the dakota faster
>in the quarter mile (already have intake and TB)
> pulleys? or performance muffler(not catback)?any other suggestions?

With fuel injection, tack on another $200 to do anything worth while. If I
were to work on my Dak and I owned a bank, I would do the following: First
I would get a custom (re)programmable computer with laptop interface. I
would then convert to mass air. I would get that ram air hood everyone is
talking about, and make it a functional ram air hood - actually ducting the
air to the TB. I would then get a larger TB. I would have the intake
extrude honed, along with the stock iron heads. I would machine the heads
for larger intake and exhaust valves, and would shape and polish the
combustion chambers. I would get a hotter cam, first claying the pistons to
see how much piston/valve clearance I had to play with then go from
there. Cam would be a higher lift than stock, longer duration, probably
around the 240 to 260 degree range for a 318, with a tight lobe center of
around 108 degrees. I would install the cam straight up for drag racing,
or 2-4 degrees advanced for street/strip use. Next would be injectors and
fuel supply, but that depends on what cam I decide to put in. Then a high
output ignition system Next would be headers. Probably 1 3/4" primaries
with a 3" collector. Then true 2 1/2" to 2 3/4" duals with a proper X-pipe
and probably super traps or a good high flow race muffler. Next would be a
good manual tranny, probably NV4500, with a good dual friction or dual disc
clutch if I were to drag it. Lower gears, probably 4.10:1 or lower, and
some wide street/strip tires. Then I would lower the truck 2 to 3 inches,
stiffen the stock suspension, and stabilize the rear end. Of course a good
set of balanced rods, and forged pistons, and maybe a stronger crank, all
depends on if I decide to race with it. This is a mix of mild and wild,
just some quick off the top ideas.

Can't do much with just $100 an a factory fuel injected engine, and get
worth while results. You basically have to re tune the whole nine yards to
make any decent power. But you could get a couple of buttometer increases
doing little things here and there. Like filter, TB, exhaust, stuff like
that.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net