Introduction

From: JC Dill (lists@vo.cnchost.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 12:24:29 EST

Hi everyone!

I purchased my new 2000 Durango (Aquamarine/Mist Grey, 5.8 L engine, 3.95
rear end, full loaded) on 12/30/99, and have over 2500 miles on it so
far. I love it!

One of the many reasons for buying this vehicle is to pull a horse
trailer. If the rumors of a ~2003 full size Dodge SUV are true, I'll
probably sell it and buy the full size when it becomes available,
especially if I can get the Cummins engine. I like the Durango body style,
but hate the mileage. I've been getting 13.5 tops (with mostly highway
driving) to ~10 when towing. Ugh. :-( Also I'd ultimately like to be
able to tow a larger trailer (3 or 4 horse slant load) and this vehicle
will probably max out at 2 horses (comfortably).

I have 2 horses right now, may get more (I had 17 at my peak some years
back). Currently I'm towing only one horse, and I just bought a used
Keifer Built 2 horse slant trailer on Saturday. It tows nice, but ideally
I need to add a weight distributing hitch. Can anyone tell me where I can
find one used, or at a discount price? The local hitch seller wants
$335! The used trailer has mounting holes from when it had a weight
distributing hitch 2 owners previously, so I don't need to pay a hitch
installer to "install" it. I'm also looking for a good source for low cost
grill guards (front and rear) that will protect the body both from parking
lot idiots and shrubs in horse trailer parking areas.

There are some posts on various newsgroups that imply that the stock hitch
isn't a really good hitch. Should I be concerned? I'm hearing a lot of
squeaking when towing, is this just the shocks and springs? Will the
weight distributing hitch resolve some of this?

Finally, this is my first 4x4, I've had many trucks in the past (including
a 93 Dodge 1-ton Dually with the Cummins engine) but never needed (and thus
never bothered to get) 4WD. The most "off roading" I will be doing is
parking the horse trailer in sometimes muddy parking areas at horse shows
and regional park trailer parking areas (when I go trail riding). But I'd
like to learn more about when and how to shift into and out of 4WD. Is
there a FAQ that addresses newbie 4WD questions?

OK, I'll shut up now, and lurk and learn!

jc (in the SF bay area, California)