Re: Gibson, Borla, or Flowmaster; which is most quiet?

From: ScottH216@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 10:53:49 EST

<< I have the Flowmaster DeltaFlow 3-chamber (50 series) on my Dak with the
 3.9V6, and I -hate- it. The thing is raspy (more so than the engine
 normally is :-) and has a HUGE resonance at between 1800RPMs and
 3400RPMs. Unfortunately, that's where the truck runs at both on the
 highways and on the city streets, so it never stops being annoying. >>

I keep reading all these posts on mufflers, and the noise Flowmasters make
always seems to be an issue. I run duel 3" Flowmasters on my Camaro, and it's
insanely loud.

But so far, no one has mentioned the Edelbrock RPM's. I have a 2 1/2" RPM on
my 5.2 Dakota, and it's perfect. They're probably twice as expensive as a
Flowmaster, but according to airflow tests, they flow better AND they're
quieter for any given size. Not too quiet, but thanks to the design (similar
to a Borla, and more direct flow than the convoluted path through a
Flowmaster) and with the ceramic packing, it's a nice, subdued low pitch
tone. You'll never get the rattle that Flowmasters have, I would call it
"muffled." It doesn't seem to resonate at any particular rpm, and when you
get on the throttle, it's different enough from stock to be noticeable, but
not too loud. The housing is all aluminized, and looks great.

Nothing personal against Flowmasters, they're inexpensive, and flow far
batter than a stock or glasspack muffler, and most muffler shops carry them
(they're cheap and have good profit margins...) but in my opinion, the
Edelbrock RPM mufflers are more than worth the extra cost. I would buy them
over a Flowmaster or any other muffler any day of the week. edelbrock.com, or
Summit or Jegs.

Scott
'94 Dakota 318 - 15.24 @ 89
'68 Camaro 355 - 12.02 @ 112