Re: Which tires should I get? 31x10.5 BFG Mud Terrain or BFG All Terrain?

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 00:49:23 EST

> I just ordered a 2000 dakota 4x4 v8 with the tire and handling package
with
> 31x10.5 goodyear wrangler tires. A lot of people have told me that these
> goodyears are crappy tires. I have decided that I will replace these as
> soon as the truck comes in with some BFG tires but I am unsure which to
get.
> I really would like the best looking tire which to me is the BFG mud
terrain
> tires, but I am a bit worried about them being quite a bit louder and
> rougher riding than the BFG All terrain tires and not wearing as well. I
> will mainly be driving my truck in town during the week and on the highway
> during the weekends now and then (dont drive on the highway all that
often).
> Anyways I would like some advise from you who have had either of these
> tires. Which would you pick and why?

Tom,
First, good idea scraping the Goodyears. A great Dak 4x4 deserses great
all-terrain tires. Without a doubt I would go with the BGF AT KOs. A 4WD
magazine did a test comparo a few months back, comparing the BFG AT's to BFG
MTs. Granted now, this test was with the 'normal' BFG AT tire, and the new
BFG AT KO is even a better tire than the 'normal' BFG AT. Here is what they
found in their test, with ratings in parenthesis 1-6; 1 being the best and 6
being the worst:
Highway: AT(1); MT(5)
Dry Handling: AT(4); MT(6)
Wet Weather: AT(1); MT(5)
Ice: AT(1); MT(5)
Deep Snow: AT(3); MT(1)
Graded Roads: AT(3); MT(1)
Rockcrawling: AT(1); MT(2)
Sand: AT(2); MT(1)
Mud: AT(3); MT(1)
Hope this helps, but I would buy the BFG AT KOs tires before I bought the
BFG MTs; just my personal preference though. Also, depending how how often
you want to replace your tires, the MTs will wear faster(alot) due to their
wide voids in the tread, but they 'may' offer better traction in some
situations. Once again, it depends how much you really are going to need and
use the MTs over the ATs. I know some people who have over 50,000 miles on
their regularly rotated BFG ATs. Myself, I could not justify running BFG MTs
all the time just because they 'look cool' or 'sound bad'. Also, I have used
3 sets of AT tires now on my Dak and have never thought about running mud
terrain tires, all the ATs have worked very well for my needs and uses for
over 118,000 miles. Good Luck with the new Dak!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6