Re: 86 Vett versus the R/T

From: George Hernandez (georgeh@ideas.tocquigny.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 23:34:03 EST

Steve St.Laurent wrote:

> The 86 Chevy Corvette versus the R/T, or maybe the 91 Syclone?
> Not a chance!
>
> Under the banner at Motor Trend, the 86 Vette, bone stock from the
> Factory did The 0-60 run under 3.9 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 11.6 at
> 123.7MPH.

????? Like a Callaway twin-turbo or something? If I'm not mistaken I think
this is the first (or second maybe) year of the TPI motor. Last time I
checked these cars were dogs (in relationship to other Vettes anyway).They
were mid 14 sec cars as I remember. To run at 123+ in the 1/4 that would
mean a HUGE shot of N20, major engine mods or both seeing as this equates
to 450+HP.

> However, the Syclone I did the 0-60 time in 4.9 seconds
> and the 1/4 mile in 13.9 at 104.2MPH.

No argument there those things were pretty damn fast. Top end wasn't that
great but man, those things would launch HARD!

-George