Re[2]: Synthetic Oil (Shane)

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 11:44:13 EST

<<A couple of things here: first off - the comment was "relatively recent".
Relative to how long dino juice has been used I would presume. Since dino juice
lubricated internal combustion engines date back to at least the 1800s.... Do
the math. I would agree with Larry Shephard on this one (he wrote the book
8-).>>

Point taken.

<<And I would have to ask "Did you dig up your Magnum engine in your back
yard?">>

OK, I deserved that one.

<<I did say book on Magnum engines didn't I? No more than a few years old is
the printing. Remember, this is coming from Mopar Performance - the makers of
your truck - engine and all. Remember, don't shoot (or otherwise hurt - even
feelings) the messenger!>>

My apologies... A poor attempt at humor, no doubt, but no offense was intended.

<<Doesn't it say that it doesn't offer any advantages if the viscosity is kept
constant?>>

I must have misunderstood the quote. I thought the above caption meant using a
single weight oil. In that case I could see how there might not be any
significant advantage to synthetics.

<<Doesn't synthetic viscosity remain constant over a wide range of temps?
Considering that the engine parts are expanding and contracting - wouldn't it
help if the oil also did the same? For example, when cold metal contracts
leaving large clearances - dino juice when cold is thickest - will fill that gap
perfectly. When hot metal expands leaving small clearances - dino juice when
hot is thinnest - will fill that gap perfectly. Isn't this basically what Larry
is referring to? That could explain the problems with scuffing. Maybe thats the
sound my friends truck makes when he first starts it up cold - using synthetic.
He didnt have that problem with dino juice.>>

What I had always been told started with the premise that the most significant
engine wear and tear occurs during engine startup when most of the oil was in
the pan. To minimize this wear you would want a motor oil that flowed the best
(thinnest) at low temperature so it would get into the engine components the
fastest. On the other end of things you would want an oil that didn't get too
thin when the engine is up to temp. While most dino-juice today does a good job
at this, synthetics can do it the best --or so I've been told/read.

In any event, this book sounds like an interesting read. The only book I found
by Larry Shepard was published in 1991, titled, "How to Hot Rod Small-Block
Mopar Engines". Is this the same book?
Tom