Re: Re: Oil properties

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 15:54:07 EST

<snip>

<<But to add another perspective - along t he same vein - if your oil had
properties such that it would adhere (thick, sticky)to metal parts longer, then
at startup you would have more protection. In fact, this is exactly what all the
engine oil additives like Prolong and other PTFE-resin based additives attempt
to achieve.>>

Hmmmm... An interesting twist but I thought Prolong and others achieved their
goal of through chemical adhesion to metal parts and not through "thickness" per
say. I dunno about Prolong but stuff like Slik-50 I've always tried to avoid.
Teflon may be good on a frying pan, but I don't want those particles floating
around in my engine.

<<I guess the best would be to just buy an oil accumulator which actually
pressurizes the oil system during the entire startup procedure until the regular
oil pump comes up to adequate pressure.>>

Yep. That and a heater would be the ultimate combination for ultra long life!

<<I've got to come clean - I dont even follow the manuf. spec myself - I use
20w50in BOTH my Indys. And have since day one. They have over 150,000 miles on
their combined odometers. Add to that 75,000 miles for the 95 Ram that I traded
in which also got 20w50 - none have ever had an oil related problem. The main
reason is partly due to those properties I just discussed. For example, when I
first got my Indy - I had an ever so slight tapping noise for the first few
seconds of startup. It bugged the crap out of me. Worse, my oil pressure would
fluctuate ever so slightly like when hot coming to a stop light would cause it
to drop slightly. It stayed mostly just a tad to the right of straight up on the
gauge. When hot coming to a stop light, idling, it would drop to just slightly
to the left of straight up on the gauge. This bothered me so I tried the 20w50.
 The pressure then went a full needle and a half to the right of straight up on
the gauge. I never hear the tapping noise again at startup either. It also
became ROCK SOLID - never moved. One day the dealership put that house oil in
and sure enough I noticed the same old lower pressure and fluctuating. Needless
to say, they dont change my oil anymore 8-) And yes, I realize that pressure
and volume are two different things - it w as the noise at startup and the
fluctuating that irked me the most - havent had that problem in over 3 years!>>

This one has got me intrigued. High oil pressure has never really bothered me
unless I had some indication of blow-back (like on my old jeep --what a
nightmare!). I never really thought about the fluctuations on my oil pressure
gauge in my Kota... Right off acceleration and all during any cruising or power
application my gauge sits exactly in the middle of the high and midpoint marks.
At idle it will drop to exactly the mid-point once up to op. temp. I never
thought of this as a bad thing. Am I wrong?

<<The "Mopar Engines" book and "Mopar Chassis" book have long been referred to
as the "bibles" of any good mopar man. Just recently CC came out with a
seperate Magnum only book called "Mopar Magnum Engines". It is $25 and
available at your local dealership (or cheaper thru Mancini, Koller, etc.) A
must-have for anyone doing performance-related mods especially to internal
engine parts.>>

Cool! I'll have to get a copy of these... Been looking for a good book (or
three) lately anyway! :-)
Tom