Re: Re: 5.2 vs4.7 SEANS FOLLOW-UP (LONG)

From: Sean Bruckman (bruckman@urisp.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 16:03:03 EST

Let's clear a few things up here...

I'd like to thank everyone who actually read my original post in which i
thought i made it clear the results i got were NOT ACCURATE. I KNEW THIS.

Well, i've gone back out and had some more fun and have determined the
likely fault is with my friend who reminded me what the numbers were after i
had forgotten. Turns out i really had run a 14.6 (with the extra 225lbs. he
weighs)... additionally i now recall that i ran a 14.4 with the air filter
off. The 0-60 of 6.35s stands backed up with two 6.41s runs.
I tried setting the weight to 3800 lbs. (it's prolly heavier) and i got 198
RWHP... so assuming the truck really weighs more like 4000 with me in it, it
could be significantly higher. Even at 198, though, at 25% loss that's 247
or something...

I'd like to thank Mike D., Chris Lambert, Rob, and Clay Cooke for making
sense. (and/or making me laugh, actually being excited about a fast mopar,
knowing what this newsgroup is actually for, etc.)

And if i can back up the mid-14 runs at the track this spring, that's still
really impressive i believe.

---------------begin extremely long rant-----------------------
Feel free to stop reading now (i'm gonna wright a book), but i'd like to
rant about the 4.7L.

Saying that something is better because "everyone" does it a certain way is
ignorant. Modern OHC engines are just as powerful, smoother, and more fuel
efficient (if you can keep out of the extra 2-3 grand RPM range you have =).
I've heard some people complain about the availability of diesel engines in
vehicles these days on this list... and i agree, that should be an option on
a lot of cars and trucks... but do you know WHY we can't get them? It's
because americans like some of the jerks on this list are so ignorant about
modern diesels that they would not sell enough of them. Most people don't
realize that europe has plenty of gas-sipping, smooth, quiet, powerful,
almost odorless diesel engines humming away in everything from econoboxs to
sportscars. (YES, mercedes sells at least one PERFORMANCE vehicle with a
DIESEL) I for one am glad that dodge will most likely be converting all
their engines to OHC... because that simply means they can keep the same or
even lower emissions of the fleet (according to govt. regulation) and give
us what americans really want, more HORSEPOWER and TORQUE. YES, TORQUE you
ignorant jerks. To think that someone could believe DC would just up and
decide to make less capable engines as part of their big plan to gain more
marketshare... and for heaven's sake OHC technology is NOT CHEAPER.
JEeeezz... Some of you people that hold pushrod technology as the pinnacle
of the evolution of the engine (not knocking on pushrod engines i love what
some of you have done with your 318's and 360's) should have seen the looks
on the faces of some of my buddies who race honda's and such when i told
them some of the things about this engine, namely the high redline and the
fact it was a cammer. I know for a fact they felt like crap when they went
back to their brand new V-TEC hondas and realized that for about $5k more
they could have gotten a REALLY BIG version of the same type of engine in a
gorgeous truck. Okay, i'm done.
---------------end extremely long rant-------------------------

And an extra special thanks to Will Tier and especially Scott Morris who's
words of wisdom i have taken the liberty to repeat at the end here so we can
all revel in their maturity and consideration.

Will had this to say:

> BAWAAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA
> I can't stand it BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

And Scott's message, which was so outstanding it didn't even piss me off all
at once, i had to read it a couple times.

:Ok then, you have the FASTEST auto 4.7 in the universe. Then you should be
spanking ss's. Let me think about this

NO
Maybe 15.4 but not 13.4, remember you have an automatic(-70 horsies to the
rear wheels)When you come back to our planet, since you must have went to
the moon raceway, you'll realize that it won't happen.

scott
feel free to email.

(maybe your g-tech was in the 5.9 in front of you.)

grasp reallity and realize that