Re: 00 Dak recall work, halo and other stuff (long)

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 23:08:13 EST

Hi,

First this: (1) I have an auto, so obviously no shift light, (2) and zero
halo.

  I don't post much as I typically don't have much to say. Today is different
in that I took my '00 Dak 4.7 CC Auto in for the #850 recall to reprogram the
computer. I also reported that my mileage was getting worse (12 around town
being careful) and that there appeared to be a lot of soot in exhaust. They
said the reprogram would fix this. It does run incredibly better, like when I
first got it and more, but I haven't gotten a change to verify mpg yet. They
also performed the TSB 21-12-99 to flash the TCM to supposedly help shifting,
mine seemed about the same, which is to say it seemed 'ok' before and after.
I'm thinking some injector cleaner might be in order if its been running rich
for awhile; am I wrong in thinking that this stuff can help remove carbon in
the cyls and on the plugs?

Other items of possible interest:

    Once in a while, on cold start up, my engine driven fan is _engaged_ for
about 10 to 15 seconds until if 'loosens up'. I told the mech about this
intermittent problem and to please replace it under warranty and he called
later and said it was fine so he wouldn't replace it. So I asked him if he
thought I got my thrills buying 5yr/75k warranties and then making up problems
and he replied after a moment of apparent deep thought that "he can't fix what
ain't broke". I know the sound of that fan and that *is* what I'm hearing.
Anyway, I got the customer support 800 number from him and said I'd call them
about it (don't have 800# nearby but its not hard to get). Has anyone else
experienced a mechanical fan clutch remaining engaged after engine cool-down?
If its just a matter of it needing to shake loose after starting up once in a
while then I can live with it, but if its dragging/loading more than normal
even when its not fully engaged thats a different story.

     They found my diff cover was leaking. Upon investigation they determined
it was overfilled at the factory! My question is, could too much oil in the
diff cause permanent damage? I seem to remember something about overpacking
wheel bearings with grease (on certain designs) can make them run hotter
because of poorer heat dissipation etc. Could too much diff oil cause it to
run hotter? If so I'm going to push for a new one.

     The odo being near 6k, I had them do the oil and tire rotation. I
quickly checked that my K&N drop in was not replaced by some well-meaning mech,
it was still there of course (but the one time one relaxes and isn't paranoid
time gets wasted and extra trips are required because some bone head pulled a
homer, right? ...paranoia can pay off)

On the whole its running real nice. The only problem that stands out in my
mind right now is hooking up properly 8-)

     In other news, a '00 Nissan crew cab with the v6 pulled up and stopped
about a half car length back on my right at a light. On the other side of the
intersection his lane ended and merged into mine. When the crosstraffic
signal was about 2/3 through yellow or so, he starts rolling forward to get the
jump when the light, I presume, so as to merge ahead of the pack. I was
actually going to just let him fly past and be on his way but at the last
moment after the light went green, something about the smirk on his face when
he glanced at me as he went past ate at me, I let him get about a car length on
me then eased into it, all traction - no spin, and left him by at least 3/4 car
length before he was across the 6-laner. He had it floored and was all
bug-eyed when I looked in the mirror. He still had a good 50 yards of lane on
the other side, and we were both well ahead of the others so there was plenty
of road; so this was by no means a safety problem, BTW.

It was a bit lame of me picking on a 6 cyl crew, but his lameness was greater
and was begging for the harsh truth. I guess the task fell to me today.

Marty Galyean
'00 Dak 4.7 semi-hemi auto 4x2