Re: Fosgate/Woofers

From: Ohm347@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 23:40:38 EST

In a message dated 02/16/2000 8:07:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Dester223@aol.com writes:

<< No..... ohms is electrical resistance.

i know. ohm347@aol.com industrial electrician by trade

 If you put a 4 ohm sub on each channel of a 2 channel amp. EACH channel
will
 see 4 ohms.

yes

 if you bridged 2-4 ohm subs to a 2 channel amp, you'll be running a 1 ohm
 stereo load on the amp (that is the reason I suggested a mono block is that
 it'll see 2 ohm mono load because there isn't another channel to divide the
 power..)

2-4 ohm subs in parallel will produce a 2 ohm load. and yes each channel
would see only 1 ohm of load(can't believe i missed that)

 Anyways. with that in mind. the 1 ohm stereo load will put out more power.
 As for working together to push the air? Where do you get that?

both wave fronts will be leaving both subs at the same time when in mono. in
stereo that does not have to happen. it depends on where the mikes were
positioned and how well it was balanced on the mixer as to weather or not
these subs fire in unison. hence one wave leaves at a slightley different
time causing part of one wave to cancel the other.

 It is better to put each sub in it's seperate enclosure. if you disagree. GO
 here:

i agree completely

 http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd/Dester.htm
 check out my 4-12" subs. Each is in it's own chamber and it hits a lot
 harder than all 4 of them in the same enclosure. each sub has more control
 over the enclosure it's in and will play with more sound quality.

once more couldn't agree more

 Another thing.
 if you had 2 sub in "1" enclosure.. if one sub blows (for some bizarre
 reason, and it does happen) the other sub is now subject to TWICE the air
 space it needs to play, crank it up and boom, that sub is gone too. >>

good point. i will consider this when building my enclosure.

derek