Re:M1/MPI and torque

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 22:43:30 EST

Interesting, Jon. I had asked Sean Meldrum about the M1 way back when he
was on the list (there was no MPI back then I don't beleive) and he
advised me to stay away from it if I was more interested in torque. Since
you seem to notice the greatest change around 3,000 rpms, perhaps the
low end torque does indeed drop while the upper end HP is increased. The
drop in low end torque *may* assist your launch which compliments your
increased HP thus yielding improved E.T.s.

If this is the case, maestro, it seems your orchestra is definitely "in
tune." Play on!

Of course, I may be totally wrong. Just guessing here.

Richard in San Antonio

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:17:54 -0500 (EST) Jon Steiger
<stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu> writes:

> Not nescessarily. It all depends on what you're trying to do.
> You
> can't just focus on one component and say "good" or "bad". You have
> look at the vehicle as an entire system and tune each part in
> concert,
> all working together to achieve your final goals.
>
> I suppose it is very well possible that installing the M1/MPI on
> bone stock engine could kill torque, but when I installed the MPI on
>
> my little 318, I picked up at least 3 tenths. Wether it gained or
> lost
> me HP or torque, I don't know; all I know is that when I installed
> it,
> my ETs dropped, and right around 3,000 rpms, my truck pulls like a
> freight train. :-) However, I also have a computer, intake and
> exhaust work, etc. Also, if you're planning on running a wet
> nitrous
> system, the MPI is the only way to go...
>

> -Jon-
>
> .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu
> | Jon Steiger * AOPA, DoD, EAA, MP Race Team, NMA, SPA, USUA *
> RP-SEL |
> | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96
> FireFly 447 |
> http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.