RE: Speed?

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 12:06:14 EST

Well unless someone came up with some heavy duty alloy's to handle the
extreme heat (the SR-71 Blackbird used titanium to handle the heat problem
at Mach 3+) I don't think it is possible. The heat generated at Mach 30
would be almost 20x the heat generated during a shuttle re-entry. The SR-71
at optimum operation the outside skin temps exceed 1000F (the pilots windows
has coolant circulating through it). Additionally the engines would have to
be sort of like a ramjet or pulsejet technology to generate that sort of
thrust(unless you guys got your hands on some Alien technology [wink]). At
Mach 30 you can circle the globe in under 5min. Mach 30 is like 23,000mph @
sealevel.. Mach 3.0 is a more realistic speed.

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd
Rahway