Re: Cold air or hot?

From: Jon Smith (fast4x4@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 21:39:23 EST

The cold-air/open element debate is pretty controversial. I've run a
quick-d style cold air intake, 14x3 open element, and a 14x4(may have been
5" tall), the taller open element made 4hp over the 14x3, and the 14x3 made
about 6hp above the tube style intake. All this was done on a chassis dyno,
with the hood open. I would think that the cold air (tube) intake would
make more power while under motion, since cold (denser) air has the capacity
to make more power than hotter air. I'm waiting on an air hat from a fellow
DML'er (UPS lost it though), and I plan to make a cold air intake.
Jon Smith-Raleigh,NC-http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jdsmith4
'95 318 auto CC 4x4: Accel Supercoil, JBA headers,
dual glasspack, 14x3 FABM, F&B Stage I TB, !EGR,
MSD 8.5's, self-moded intake, 180 degree thermo,
ASP crank pulley, 16" Hayden elec. fan, MP SBEC,
BEST: 0-60 in 6.3 & 1/4mi 15.4@88.95
207.2 RWHP, 276.2 RW ft/lbs
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ