RE: Speed?

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 20:16:16 EST

At 10:51 AM 2/19/00 , you wrote:
>You must be talking about the Hawker Harrier.

> > What about that F-16 that can fly in reverse or sideways?

Maybe not. I live near the plant that builds F-16s (used to be General
Dynamics but they have sold out and merged so many times I can no longer
keep up). Anyway, they built a highly modified technology demonstration
version of the F-16 with a re-designed wing, canards, vectored exhaust and
all new flight software. (Probably more mods than that, but I'm going from
memory here). I saw this plane put on a demo for some AF brass once and it
could do some amazing things. Extremely short take-offs and landings, stop
on a dime and reverse direction, even fly "backwards".

Mike Crumley 97 V6 Auto
mail to: mcrumley@airmail.net

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not even sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein