Re: Redline?

From: Jeff Schultz (chill@en.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 18:46:27 EST

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, PFARM wrote:

> I'm going to run my truck at the DML meet on 3/4 and happened to notice the
> redline on my 98 5.2L is only 4600 rpm. This seems kind of low even for a
> stock vehicle. Is this accurate? Did I hurt my motor today when I shifted at
> 5500 rpm's?

        If you knew the RPM you were shifting at you probably didnt red
line it. Usually the red line is the point at which the RPM's stop. You
were in the red zone. THe red zone is an area where the motor will work
fine for short periods. Basically what its saying is that you do not want
to stay in the red zone longer than you have to. Red-lining an engine can
sometimes cause it to catastrophically fail, while red - zoning it will
cause it to overheat, and wear more than normal.. At least thats what Ive
been told...

-Jeff