Re: Heater core replacment, any one done it

From: N2mopars@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 20:37:17 EST

  I've done mine. Its not that bad. Remeber one thing. Dont be afraid to
tear stuff apart to get it out. If its a 5 speed truck, it may be easier to
take the shifter out. You have to take all the lower dash panels, glove box,
and ashtray out, disconnect the heater hoses, electrical connectors, and
vacuum line that controls all the heater functions. Disconnect these as you
are removing it. First thing I would do is bring it to an A/C shop and have
them discharge the A/C system. You dont want to release freon into the open
air. You will need to undo the A/C lines at the firewall. Once you get it
out you need to take apart the whole heater box. While its apart clean the
crap out of it, make it spotless inside, or you will smell coolant for a long
time as it slowly evaporates when you use your heater. Try to dry out all
the foam sealer in the heater box also. After that, put it all together,
reconnect everything, and bring it back to the A/C shop for a recharge and
leak check.

Brad